biscotti and coffee, they go together like peas and carrots, fish and chips, green eggs and ham.
melted butter 2 tbsp
vegetable oil 2 tbsp
caster sugar 1/2 cup (120 g)
salt 1/2 tsp
vanilla extract 1/2 tsp
all purpose flour 1 cup (240 g)
baking soda 1 tsp
pistachio 1.5 oz (40 g)
almond 1.5 oz (40 g)
- preheat oven 355 F (180 C)
- combine the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl, mix well (wet ingredients)
- combine flour and baking soda into another bowl, sift at least twice (dry ingredients)
- pour dry ingredients into wet ingredient bowl, mix well
- lightly toast nuts on a pan, let them cool, knead into the dough thoroughly
- shape dough into a flat log on baking pan, dough will not expand, so shape into the desired size
- bake for 20 min
- remove from oven and immediately slice the log into desirable biscotti size while dough is still warm, now you’ll have individual biscotti
- return biscotti into oven and bake 10 min, or until golden brown
biscotti in english means “twice-baked”, which originates from Italy for long storage with its dry nature. it goes well with coffee, chocolate and even orange juice, depending on the ingredients.
in this recipe, we are using almond and pistachio, but feel free to play around! adding dried fruits, chocolate, hazelnuts, dried ginger… spicing it up with cinnamon, or even coating the biscuits with chocolate!
oh one more thing! remember to use a long serrated knife. it allows you to slice neatly through the loaf without putting any pressure on it.