a traditional italian ragu. this simple meat sauce will wow your friends, family, and lover(s). we are using our handmade pasta and homemade tomato sauce, both of which can be found on our blog. we used minced pork for this recipe because priscilla’s mom doesn’t eat beef. but of course you can use beef, or even a combination of pork and beef, which is the classic italian version. add more zing by throwing in your favorite aromatics.
- sauteed chopped onion in a pan until brown
- add ground pork and sauteed until brown
- add additional flavors like basil, celery or red wine… be creative (optional)
- pour homemade tomato sauce into pan
- salt and pepper to taste
- simmer sauce on low heat to thicken
- add cooked pasta to the sauce
- stir and mix sauce evenly, add a couple of ladle of pasta water to thicken if necessary
you can substitute the homemade tomato sauce with canned tomato sauce and store bought pasta with handmade pasta… though not recommended 🙂
drizzle in some heavy cream to round out the sauce, it takes the sharp edge off the tomato flavor
instead of ground meat, i like sausage meat as an alternative. it gives extra flavour.