the thing about clams is that they are utterly deceptive. 3/4 of your money goes to buying the shells. but that tiny tasty morsel of meat inside more than makes up for it.
originally, we were planning to stir fry sea snails. but then we saw these fat, fresh clams sticking out their “tongue and snout”. we just had to buy them, 2 pounds to be exact, handpicked one by one! not one dead… score! we used our own chili oil soy sauce; you can find the easy recipe here. the alternative is to use equal parts store-bought chili oil and soy sauce.
clams 2 lb (1 kg)
medium red bell pepper 1
medium onion 1/2
chili oil soy sauce 2 tbsp
garlic 1 clove
ginger 1 tsp
oil 2 tbsp
- finely chop the ginger and garlic and chop the pepper and onion
- in a hot pan, add oil, then the garlic, ginger, and veggies, stir fry for a minute
- throw in the clams, stirring regularly
- add the chili oil soy sauce
- stir fry until the clams fully open (throw away the unopened ones. they are dead)