we stumbled upon these beautiful scallops while walking through the wan chai wet market. we had no intentions of buying scallops, or anything for that matter. we were simply passing by while making our way to the mtr station. but then, we caught a glimpse of these huge scallops and we just couldn’t resist. 5 whole fresh scallops for only $35 hkd (about $5 usd)… we would be fools to walk away from such a deal.
with seafood this fresh, the last thing you want to do is over complicate things. we steamed these scallops the old cantonese way, with a little garlic and vermicelli on top. make sure the water is steaming hot before putting the scallops in the wok.
garlic 3 cloves
vermicelli large handful or 1 bundle
soy sauce 1 tbsp
oil 3 tbsp
- clean the scallops and leave them on the shell
- soak the vermicelli in a bowl of hot water for about 5 minutes
- finely chop the garlic and lightly brown them in oil in a pan
- distribute the browned garlic and oil onto each scallop and add a small bundle of vermicelli
- lightly drizzle some soy sauce on top of each scallop
- steam the scallops in a wok for 4-5 minutes