this cold seaweed appetizer, 涼拌海帶, is a perfect balance between cool and heat. The chilled seaweed is refreshing to taste, while the chili adds a bit of a kick. we bought a small packet of dried seaweed (kelp) at the wet market, about 8-10 pieces. it came in a very small packet. but don’t be fooled though, when fully hydrated, it expands more than 10x its dried state.
the seaweed doesn’t have to be cooked. however, it can be a bit slimy if raw. that’s why a quick blanch will help remove that slipperiness.
wet seaweed 3 cup (from dried seaweed 1/2 cup)
garlic 1 clove
dried chili flakes 1 tsp
soy sauce 1 tbsp
salt 1 tsp
chinkiang vinegar/ black rice vinegar 1 tbsp
sesame oil 2 tsp
- soak the dried seaweed in cold water, at least 1 hr to fully rehydrate
- rinse and gently wash the seaweed
- cut the seaweed into thin long pieces
- in a pot, bring enough water to boil and blanch the seaweed for a min
- strain and rinse under cold water, plate the seaweed
- finely dice the garlic, and combine it with all of the ingredients above to create a sauce
- toss the sauce evenly with the plate of seaweed