we like making food from scratch, even when it comes to pasta and the sauce. however, we opted out of making fresh pasta this time. we’ll be honest, we got lazy, and our arms were soar from working out the other day. but making a sauce wasn’t too labor intensive. we bought fresh clams and tomatoes from the wet market to make this sauce. you can go for the canned crushed tomatoes instead of the fresh ones.
feel free to add other seafood to the pasta, like shrimp or mussels. we added calamari since it looked super fresh that day.
ripe tomatoes 1 lb
clams 1 lb
onion 1 large
carrot 1 small
garlic 4 cloves
bay leaf 2
oregano 1 tsp
thyme 1 tsp
salt 2 tsp
oil 1/4 cup
red wine 1/2 cup
- dice the onion, carrot, and garlic. toss them into a pot with 1/4 cup of oil, sauteed for a few minutes on medium heat
- rough chop the tomatoes and add them to the pot
- add the bay leaf, oregano, thyme, salt, and red wine
- cover with a lid and turn heat to low, simmer for 45 min to 1 hr
- use a hand blender and blend the sauce (remove the bay leaves first) to make it smooth
- clean the clams thoroughly and add them to the sauce, cook for about 5 min until all the clams open (throw away the unopened ones)
- in a separate pot, cook the pasta in salted boiling water
- add the cooked pasta to the pot of sauce and stir to mix evenly
- salt to taste if necessary
par cook the pasta and finish it off in the pot of tomato sauce. this gives time for the pasta to absorb the rich tomato flavor. once the pasta is nearly done, then toss in the clams.