i (jun) had my first taste of chicken adobo while in manila. you can say it’s the unofficial dish of the philippines. while there are various types of adobo across the island country, chicken adobo is definitely the popular kid on the block.
we used half rice wine vinegar and half apple cider vinegar for extra sweetness and flavor. you may use regular white vinegar, or any combination of your own. depending on how sour or salty you like it, feel free to adjust the amount of vinegar or soy sauce.
chicken thigh and drum 1-1.5 lb
garlic 6 cloves
whole black peppercorn 1 tbsp
vinegar 1/2 cup
soy sauce 1/4 cup
sugar 1 tsp
cornstarch 1 tsp
oil 3 tbsp
- dice the garlic and chop the chicken into pieces
- in a pan, sauteed the garlic and peppercorns on medium heat with 3 tbsp of oil, about 1-2 min
- toss in the chicken and cook until lightly brown, about 5 min
- add the vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar, cook for 5 min
- add the cornstarch, cook for another min to let the sauce thicken