a lot has changed since starting this blog in 2013. for starters, we are now happily married and living in shanghai. we are co-owners, operator, and head chef of Brut Cake Café. We have become food and media personalities, the latest being hosts of a lemon documentary which took us around the world. and, we like to think that all of this would not have happened had we decided not to share our recipes with the world.
as busy as we have been, we still love to do the one thing that started this whole journey, cooking. but now, there’s more to us than just recipes. so stick around, get comfy, browse, read, like, comment, and share.
we are jun and priscilla. we both live in hong kong and we both hate washing dishes. unfortunately, that comes with the territory when our favorite pastime is in the kitchen. cooking is sort of an escape for us… a form of entertainment. some people like to listen to music or watch tv; but not us, we like to make a mess in the kitchen.
they always say that two heads are better than one… we couldn’t agree more. one has a polished local hong kong taste profile, while the other is brought up on american flavors, portions, and expectations. we’ll let you decide who’s who. much like the city of hong kong, our recipes consist of western and asian dishes.
we encourage you to play with your food. the recipes we share can be tailored to your own liking… try different ingredients, methods, and flavor combinations.
can’t get enough? watch us on youtube
top 3 favorite dishes
- braised pork belly w preserved veggie over white rice (梅菜扣肉)
- peking duck with all the fixings
- southern style fried chicken with mac n cheese, collard greens, and cornbread
- german cheesecake – i fell in love with it when my host mother in germany baked it for the weekends
- sichuan spicy fish fillets – the numbing hotness and the super soft fillets are irresistible
- dumplings – everything you need in one single dumpling: meat, veggies and carbs. it is easy to find dumplings, but not easy to find good ones. the best i’ve had was in beijing, handmade and fresh.